Friday, August 28, 2009

“Sometimes the thing we don’t want to do, is the thing we need to do the most”

It was probably the last thing I really wanted to do. This was a sad week for me, and I desired nothing more than to be left alone to feel sorry for myself. But my Aunt’s phone call on Tuesday morning interrupted my plans;

“Sarah, your cousin Amy needs babysitting this weekend, and I won’t be available until Sunday. What do you think about you and your sister driving over here to spend the weekend with them?”

“Ah, oh, that sounds fun.” I replied.

“They’ve be wanting to have you guys over anyway, and I thought this might be a good time.”

“Well sure, thanks for the invite. Today is the last day of my job, and I’ve got to leave for work soon. But can I give you guys a call later to work out the details?”

“Absolutely. I’ve got to get going too. I’ll give you Amy’s phone number so you can talk to her. I’m glad you guys can come!”

“Yeah, me too, have a good day Aunt Denny. Love you, see you soon!”

That started an eight day trip for Missie and I. We visited our cousins, Aunt Denny, and grandparents on the Westside. (In Spokane the “Westside” is slang for Seattle area.) If it had been up to me I wouldn’t have gone that week. I was sad, tired, and worn out from the emotional toll leading up to my homecare client’s move. Nonetheless, I felt the Lord’s prompting that this was the right thing to do. And for once I listened, without too much grumbling...

It ended up being one of the best trips I’ve had over there. And just the right medicine to get my mind off my problems. My sister and I stayed up late watching movies, played with my cousin’s kids, laughed with my grandparents and took day trips to the pool, park, and beaches. We ate lots of M&M’s and enjoyed junk food we don’t usually eat (which is good, considering it doesn’t take that many days to gain five or ten extra pounds.)

God always has our best interest in mind. Even when we don’t feel like it. I’m learning that the times I feel like I should control my life, are the very times I need to let it go the most.

God bless you my sisters. And may you be encouraged to do the very thing you may not want to do- it just might be what blesses you the most!

No comments:

Post a Comment