Monday, July 6, 2009

Feminism. Our culture is full of it. But why?

My friend Tiffany gave me a book to read while my family vacationed in California. I’d mentioned I had brought nothing to read, and I wish I did since there ended up being some quiet mornings at our campsite. The next time I saw her she surprised me with three of her books to choose from- the one I started is called the DMZ (stands for Demilitarized Zone.)

The first couple chapters give a character sketch of a few main people in the story. Two stood out to me; an environmental activist woman, and budding journalist in her early 20’s. Both gals are career oriented- hardworking, smart, and go-getters. The author did such good job describing their thought processes. But most people would probably be pretty disgusted with the environmentalist, she’s pushy and manipulative. Even the tribal chief she’s trying to influence into joining her side, sees right through her caramel coating on a rotten apple. A hardened perspective, and “I’m right” attitude lead her team into a dangerous situation, and sadly, to their demise.

Our young journalist however, is a little less spoiled. She’s trying feminism on for size, after all, the culture tells her its what it takes to succeed. Yet you can tell this girl has pain in her past, orphaned by missionary parents, tragically killed when she was a teen. But seven years later as a young woman, trying to be tough and make a smart career move- the girl pushes for an opportunity to take a journalism assignment in the very country that holds her life’s darkest secret. I’ll try and let you know how it ends… I’ve got a quite a bit of reading to do…

Most of us would probably agree that a true, hard-core feminist is not a pleasant person to be around. Like the environmentalist in the book- they’re often pushy and manipulative. But have you wondered what makes a lady become like that? I think a painful past is often the cause of a hardened heart. For example, I wonder what Hillary Clinton’s father and growing up life was like? Or some of the other feminist activists of the 60’s and 70's? I seriously doubt any of those ladies had loving, encouraging, fathers. But does that mean abused girls, or those who grew up without a father taking the lead in their home, have no hope?

I know women personally who came from terrible, abusive backgrounds. Things I can’t even imagine. Some of these gals have had to go through tremendous refining as believers, allowing their perfect Heavenly Father to give them grace. And change their damaged perspective toward men. Now they can love their husbands and work diligently to develop good relationships with their dads, if they still have them. But sadly, I’ve known other ladies who have hung on to their bitterness, and remain stunted from growth in Christ. I pray they’ll experience God’s freedom.

What do you think? Do you know any ladies like those I’ve mentioned above? What’s your take on pain and redemption? Perhaps if you’re like me- you may have experienced some of that in your own life. How did God work on your heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment