Monday, July 20, 2009

“I think even when I don’t ask questions”

The other day I had Anna, my eight-year-old sister with me in the car. As I wound through construction she started asking me all these questions about my job. (I do home care and work for a really sweet, young disabled lady.) Anna wanted to know specifically what kinds of things we do together, and what Emma’s character/personality was like.

My sister is a very perceptive little thing, she observes and observes. You have no idea what is going in her head until all of the sudden, she bursts forth with all of the ponderings she’s been brewing.

Today was no exception. I tried to pay attention to the road as she fired one question after another. I answered a few, but they were so direct I had a hard time avoiding them by giving general answers. Finally I realized I’d have to tell my little sister what I needed to tell everyone else; Legally, and for Emma’s privacy, I can’t give out many details.

“But its good you’re asking all these questions Anna,” I said, not wanting to discourage her curious mind, “It shows that you’re thinking.”

Anna got quiet for a minute, then she spoke, sounding a bit offended;

“I think even when I don’t ask questions.” She stated flatly.

I couldn’t help it, I started laughing! She had totally misunderstood my meaning. Quickly I reassured her that I know she thinks, even when she doesn’t ask questions.

2 comments:

  1. Cute! Kids are great for keeping us grounded and appreciating the basic, yet often overlooked, things in life...

    ReplyDelete